Buttery, basic lower out sugar cookies get a brown sugar twist with my Brown Sugar Lower Outs! Get pleasure from them plain or beautify them for the vacations!
This recipe was made in partnership with my pals at Imperial Sugar. CLICK HERE for the full recipe!
Lower out cookies are basic Christmas cookies, and including brown sugar to a sugar cookie recipe is a fast and simple twist on the standard cookie. I began with my excellent straightforward sugar cookie recipe, so in case you love that recipe as a lot as I do, you’ll love these too! The addition of brown sugar will impart a softer texture and a light-weight brown sugar taste, whereas nonetheless holding the form of even your most intricate cookie cutter with NO CHILLING NEEDED!! You can too use darkish brown sugar in case you desire an excellent deeper brown sugar style. Love this straightforward cookie recipe!
Sure and no…that’s in all probability not the reply you had been in search of! Possibly the proper reply right here is “a bit of”. My favourite lower out cookies are delicate however with crisper edges, and brown sugar does lend a softer cookie, as brown sugar has extra moisture than granulated, however you’ll nonetheless obtain these crisp edges.
Brown Sugar Lower Out Substances:
Click on right here: Full list of ingredients and printable recipe
- Chilly butter. I take advantage of chilly butter in my recipe to forestall spreading with out having to relax the dough. You’ll be able to nonetheless chill the dough if you’d like, however I don’t discover it’s crucial.
- Gentle brown sugar. You should use darkish brown sugar as properly, or a mix of the 2. I desire mild brown sugar in these, as you continue to get the caramel taste with out including further moisture to the cookie.
- Giant egg
- Vanilla extract
- Baking powder
- Kosher salt
- All goal flour
Icing isn’t crucial on these sugar cookies, however in case you like adorning cookies this can be a fast and easy icing to make in case you don’t wish to go to all the difficulty of creating royal icing!
- Powdered sugar
- Water or milk
- Gentle corn syrup
Unsalted vs Salted Butter
You should use with both salted or unsalted butter on this recipe. It’s a private desire of mine to make use of salted, as I simply desire the style. Should you select to make use of unsalted you don’t want to extend the quantity of further salt on this recipe.
- Cookies: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat and put aside.
- Within the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and sugar collectively on medium velocity for two minutes till mild and fluffy.
- Add within the egg, vanilla, baking powder, and salt and proceed mixing till mixed and clean, scraping the perimeters of the bowl as crucial with a rubber spatula.
- Flip the mixer velocity to low and add within the flour, mixing till the dough comes collectively.
- Divide dough into 2 sections and on a floured floor, utilizing a rolling pin, roll the dough to 1/3 inch thick. Utilizing a cookie cutter, lower out shapes of the dough along with your desired cutter(s) and place the cookies on the ready baking sheet 1 1/2- inches aside. If you’re baking in batches, hold the unused dough within the fridge till prepared to make use of to forestall dough from getting too heat.
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes till the sides are calmly golden. Enable the cookies to chill on the baking sheet for five minutes after which switch them to a wire rack to chill utterly.
- Icing: In a bowl, whisk collectively the powdered sugar, water, and corn syrup till clean.
- Unfold or pipe onto cooled cookies. You should use a drop of meals coloring to attain totally different colours. Enable the icing to arrange utterly earlier than storing.
Listed below are just a few tips I’ve realized alongside the best way to maintain your cookies from spreading:
- Use chilly butter to start out. Dice chilly butter and blend it into the sugar with out permitting it to return as much as room temperature. This retains the dough cooler.
- Chill the dough. Even in case you begin with chilly butter you possibly can nonetheless chill the dough to be on the protected aspect if spreading is a priority, or in case you’re utilizing intricate cookie cutters.
- Be sure to’re utilizing massive eggs within the cookie dough. Should you purchase further massive eggs on accident (I’ve carried out it) it will add further moisture into your cookie, altering the consistency of the dough and inflicting the dough to unfold extra.
- Granulated sugar has a decrease moisture content material than brown sugar, and can usually unfold much less and provide you with crisper edges. This can be a brown sugar lower out cookie recipe, so that you in all probability don’t wish to sub out the sugar, however you actually can.
- To stop much more spreading, you should utilize shortening rather than butter, as butter has the next moisture content material. I desire baking with butter, however shortening is an choice!
I desire a thicker cutout cookie, however you are able to do no matter you want! I discover that utilizing a rolling pin, the thickness proper between 1/4″ – 1/3″ is the candy spot. I usually err on the aspect of a thicker cookie. However I do know so many individuals like a extra skinny and crisp cookie, which is nice too as you will get extra cookies out of your dough!
I these cookies don’t want altering, BUT you will get artistic with the extract flavors you employ. Listed below are few to attempt:
- 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 teaspoon of orange extract
PIN for later: