Prep Time: 30 mins | Cook Time: 40 mins | Total Time: 1 hr 10 mins
Here’s what you’ll need to make easy chicken pot pie with biscuits:
Use store-bought rotisserie chicken or leftover cooked chicken for easy prep.
Use a can of your favorite biscuit dough.
This pot pie is loaded with onions, celery, carrots, and peas.
Sauté the vegetables in butter for extra flavor.
This recipe calls for low-sodium chicken broth, but you can use any chicken broth you have on hand.
Half-and-half gives the filling its creamy texture.
Flour will coat the vegetables for a light fry, plus thicken the filling up.
This recipe calls for parsley, thyme, salt, and pepper.
You only need an egg yolk for an egg wash, so save the egg white for another recipe.
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 medium celery ribs, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- ⅔ cup frozen peas
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
- ⅔ cup half-and-half cream
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cups cooked chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 (16.3 ounce) can refrigerated flaky-style biscuits (such as Pillsbury Grands®)
- 1 large egg yolk, beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion, celery, and carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in peas, flour, parsley, and thyme and cook, stirring constantly, until the flour coats the vegetables and begins to fry, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in chicken broth and half-and-half, and cook until the sauce is thick and bubbling. Stir in cooked chicken, and season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer chicken, vegetables, and sauce into a 7×11-inch baking dish. Arrange biscuits on top of the filling.
- Beat egg yolk with water in a small bowl. Brush mixture over the biscuits.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the biscuits are golden brown and the pie filling is bubbly, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before serving.