This publish might include affiliate hyperlinks. Please learn my disclosure coverage.
This coconut rice recipe is simple to make in about half-hour and completely fluffy with a lightly-sweet coconut taste.
A type of recipes that each sweet-and-savory-loving cook dinner ought to have tucked away of their again pocket — probably the most scrumptious coconut rice! ♡
Coconut rice has lengthy been a staple in lots of tropical culinary traditions world wide, from Southeast Asia to India, South America, Central America, East Africa, the Caribbean and past. It encompasses a lightly-sweet creamy coconut taste that pairs brilliantly with all kinds of savory dishes. It’s naturally gluten-free and vegan. And it’s virtually simply as simple to make as a batch of plain rice and comes collectively rapidly in about half-hour — win-win!
Right here in our residence, we love serving coconut rice with every part from savory stir-fries to curries, grilled proteins, roasted greens, beans, stews, kabobs and extra. Relying on the meal, I usually love including in a squeeze of lime juice or some chopped cilantro to brighten up the flavour too. And when you’re wanting so as to add some further texture, a sprinkling of toasted coconut flakes (or shredded coconut) is at all times a superb concept too.
Let’s make some coconut rice collectively!
Coconut Rice Components
Listed below are the essential coconut rice elements that you will want to make this recipe:
- Rice: I usually use jasmine rice when making coconut rice, however any long-grain white rice will work.
- Coconut milk: I actually suggest utilizing full-fat coconut milk to make this rice completely coconut-y and creamy. You’re welcome to choose as a substitute for mild coconut milk, when you favor, however please observe that it’s going to contribute considerably much less coconut taste.
- Sugar: Most restaurant variations of coconut rice embody a touch of additional sugar, which evenly sweetens the rice and actually helps to carry out the flavour of the coconut. So be at liberty so as to add a teaspoon or two of granulated white sugar (or coconut sugar) when you’d like, or you possibly can simply skip the added sugar altogether.
- Salt: A touch of advantageous sea salt is crucial to carry out one of the best of those flavors.
- Further add-ins: See notes beneath about some enjoyable further elements that you simply’re welcome so as to add in too. (I’m keen on stirring in a handful of toasted coconut flakes, a touch of cilantro, and a squeeze of lime!)
How To Make Coconut Rice
Detailed directions for the best way to make coconut rice are included within the recipe beneath, however the fundamental technique is straightforward:
- Rinse. Undoubtedly don’t skip this step when making coconut rice! It’s important to rinse the additional starches off of the rice earlier than cooking with the intention to forestall it from changing into gluey or mushy.
- Prepare dinner. Merely stir collectively the rice, coconut milk, water, salt and sugar (if utilizing) in a saucepan and convey to a boil. Cowl with a tightly-fitting lid, scale back warmth to low, and cook dinner undisturbed — don’t raise up the lid to peek! — for quarter-hour. Take away the pan, nonetheless coated, from the warmth and permit the rice to steam for a closing 10 minutes.
- Serve. Uncover the pan. Fluff the rice with a fork, serve and revel in!
How To Retailer Coconut Rice
Let the cooked coconut rice cool to room temperature, then switch it to an hermetic container or storage bag and refrigerate for up 3-4 days. To reheat within the microwave, place the rice in a microwave-safe dish and warmth briefly intervals till the rice is warmed via. To reheat on the range, add the rice to a non-stick sauté pan and warmth over medium warmth, stirring sometimes and including in a tablespoon or so of additional water if wanted, till the rice is warmed via.
Listed below are just a few extra variations to this coconut rice recipe that you simply’re welcome to attempt!
- Add toasted coconut flakes: Stir in some toasted coconut flakes (or toasted shredded coconut works too) as soon as the rice has completed cooking, or sprinkle them on prime as a garnish.
- Add recent herbs: Stir in some finely-chopped recent cilantro, Thai basil, or chives as soon as the rice has completed cooking.
- Add lime: Stir in a tablespoon or two of freshly-squeezed lime juice as soon as the rice has completed cooking.
- Add ginger: Stir as much as 1 tablespoon grated ginger together with the rice in Step 2.
- Add warmth: Stir your favourite type of scorching sauce or chili oil in with the rice as soon as it has completed cooking.
What To Serve With Coconut Rice
I’m undoubtedly keen on pairing coconut rice with with savory or spicy dishes, to stability out the sweetness, however there are numerous methods you can serve coconut rice! Listed below are just a few of my favourite pairings:
- 2 cups jasmine or long-grain rice
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon advantageous sea salt
- 1 to 2 teaspoons white granulated sugar (non-obligatory*)
- Rinse the rice. Completely rinse the rice in a advantageous mesh strainer till the water runs clear.
- Prepare dinner. Add the rice, coconut milk, water, sea salt and sugar (if utilizing) to a big saucepan and stir to mix. Prepare dinner over medium-high warmth till the rice reaches a boil. Give the rice a fast stir, flip the warmth to low, cowl with a lid, and cook dinner undisturbed for quarter-hour. Flip off the warmth, and let the rice relaxation undisturbed for 10 minutes. Uncover and fluff the rice with a fork.
- Serve. Serve instantly and revel in!
Sugar: Including further sugar is totally non-obligatory right here, however I like to recommend including a teaspoon or two when you favor a barely candy coconut rice. Primary white granulated sugar will work, or coconut sugar or honey could be beautiful too.