This submit might include affiliate hyperlinks. Please learn my disclosure coverage.
This submit has been a little bit of a surreal one to jot down. As a result of, to be trustworthy, I nonetheless can’t fairly consider the place life has us presently.
9 months in the past, we had been newly pregnant and over the moon to expect a second IVF child round my birthday at the start of Could. We had been celebrating our fifth anniversary of dwelling in Spain, making use of for everlasting visas to have the ability to keep for much longer, and looking out into buying our first house within the metropolis. We discovered ourselves in such a candy spot of day by day life right here in Barcelona surrounded by pricey buddies (together with the cutest little circle of buddies for Teo), fulfilling work we each beloved, and a contented return to post-pandemic touring round Europe.
However shortly thereafter, our hearts broke when our physician all of a sudden went quiet throughout an ultrasound sooner or later. We ended up having a d&c simply down the hallway from the place we delivered Teo, which was sadly adopted by months of extra issues, a barrage of physician’s appointments, some really terrible medicines, and in the end one extra surgical procedure. For months it felt like we had been caught on this irritating grief time warp, discovering it troublesome to maneuver ahead emotionally whereas my physique was nonetheless clinging to the being pregnant bodily. Fortunately we finally made it to the opposite facet of issues and got the inexperienced gentle to proceed once more with fertility remedies if . So after speaking with our physician and giving issues lots of thought, we determined this spring to endure a second full spherical of IVF within the hopes of bringing yet another babe into our little household. (Extra on that beneath.) However within the midst of all of that, life took one other sharp left flip that we didn’t see coming…
Our household is now shifting again to Kansas Metropolis in June. ♡
To say this transfer is sudden and bittersweet could be a understatement. I’ve to confess I’m nonetheless working to wrap my thoughts round it most days, because it’s simply such a whole 180 from what we had envisioned for these subsequent few years forward. However Barclay and I’ve at all times mentioned it will probably be our dad and mom’ well being that in the end drew us again to america. And when issues just lately took a troublesome flip for one in all our households, it felt clear to us that we needed to be again as quickly as attainable to assist. So after taking turns making quite a lot of journeys again to the States over the previous few months, we now have one-way tickets booked for our total household in lower than two months.
Our days are presently spent swimming in a sea of logistics, making an attempt to piece collectively the puzzle of a global transfer with two adults, a toddler, our candy aged pup, and all of our belongings. It has been…so much. (Particularly within the midst of IVF plus every little thing else occurring.) However our family and friends again within the States have gone above and past to assist us type by means of varied particulars of getting resettled and have so generously welcomed us again with such open arms. And our great crew right here in Barcelona has firmly determined it’s not a perpetually goodbye and that we’re merely going to squeeze in as many good occasions as attainable collectively right here earlier than we depart. So feelings are working fairly excessive in our house proper now, however we’re making an attempt to remind ourselves when logistics get overwhelming that every little thing will someway finally type itself out, and above all, we’re counting ourselves enormously fortunate to be surrounded by such a loving crew all over the world proper now.
Anyway, clearly, tons to atone for! So for anybody fascinated by studying extra in regards to the newest chapter of our IVF journey, adventures in buying a home (and all of the issues!) from abroad, plans for our remaining seven weeks right here in Europe, plus a particular backyard replace from Mali, right here’s the most recent and doubtless ultimate replace I’ll in all probability sharing from right here in Barcelona.
IVF, Take Two
After we first discovered final summer season that our embryo switch was profitable and we had been pregnant once more, I’ve to confess that my very first thought was — thank God we don’t need to do one other full spherical of IVF once more. (Well-known final phrases on this planet of infertility.) After all, after our miscarriage a number of months later, we did find yourself discovering ourselves proper again at sq. one with zero remaining embryos and hearts hoping greater than ever for somewhat sibling for Teo. So we reluctantly determined to dive again in for one ultimate full spherical.
And I really feel prefer it’s value sharing that our second spherical of IVF ended up being gentle years simpler than our first. ♡
As a few of you would possibly bear in mind, our first spherical coincided with the precise week that Spain locked down and every little thing in Barcelona (together with our fertility clinic) was all of a sudden pressured to shut and new pandemic panic was at its absolute peak. Add to that the truth that our hearts had been already fragile going into the method after a protracted stretch of infertility. And because the very first of our buddies to navigate the entire course of, we had been simply so rattling nervous each step of the way in which.
Nicely quick ahead three years later and it now appears like everybody we all know has achieved IVF these days! (Okay haha, small exaggeration, however severely greater than a dozen of our shut family and friends members have gone by means of the method since we did.) It additionally simply appears like fertility remedies are a lot extra overtly mentioned and customary now. So between our personal familiarity with the method plus the candy reminder trying in Teo’s eyes that this science can certainly create little miracles, IVF 2.0 for our little household has felt a lot simpler and lighter and — dare I say — even enjoyable at factors?!
Our physician completely appears like a buddy now, which positively makes our million appointments all of the extra pleasurable. On a whim, I additionally determined to attempt conquering my lifelong concern of needles and administer all of my very own photographs time spherical, which I’m certain isn’t any large deal to many however felt genuinely empowering to me. Barclay and I additionally determined to decide to a strict anti-inflammatory eating regimen for a lot of months main as much as and in the course of the course of (mainly no gluten/dairy/sugar/alcohol/caffeine), which we expect might have really made a major distinction in attaining higher retrieval and fertilization outcomes than our clinic was predicting.
That mentioned, we did simply discover out over the weekend that our first embryo switch formally failed, which isn’t simple information to listen to. However we had been lucky sufficient to finish up with a number of viable embryos this spherical and may have the possibility to hopefully attempt a second switch in Could. So we’re hoping, hoping, hoping that we would get fortunate and have the ability to deliver one other tiny member of the family again house with us in June. ♡ Vamos a ver.
Kansas Metropolis, Right here We Come
Wow, wow. There are such a lot of issues I might say about this transfer proper now, however listed below are a number of of the most important updates these days:
- We purchased a home! Sight-unseen! Whew, discuss a tough time to purchase a home with market stock at a document low within the Midwest and costs being so excessive. There have been hardly any new properties coming available on the market once we began contemplating a transfer house and we had been starting to lose hope that we’d discover one thing we favored. However three weeks in the past, we bought phrase a couple of beautiful 93-year-old home that was about to hit the market. So we put in a proposal actually a number of hours later (earlier than they had been even permitting realtors in the home, eek!), stayed up till 4am to barter and signal all the contracts, and ended up getting it. We’ll shut on the home the week earlier than we arrive and are excited to be again on the Missouri facet once more.
- We’re additionally re-buying allll the issues. We presently personal primarily zero house furnishings, having given away or bought every little thing we owned earlier than shifting overseas, adopted by 6 years dwelling in furnished leases in Barcelona. So we can be repurchasing e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g once more from scratch — from mattresses to mixing bowls to mops to a mower, you identify it — which feels directly very thrilling and likewise very overwhelming, lol. I’m taking the lead on all issues house-related proper now, whereas Barclay is working onerous to shortly buy two automobiles, all the varied sorts of insurance coverage, cellphone plans, determine daycare particulars for Teo, and many others. It’s positively a step extra difficult making an attempt to determine every little thing out from abroad, however our new household motto is “we’ll finally determine it out.” I actually hope so! 😉
- Fiona already made it again. Our candy aged canine Fiona was recognized with most cancers final summer season simply after our different pup, Henry, handed away and doubtless doesn’t have for much longer left with us. She by no means actually took to metropolis life right here and loves nothing greater than large open areas. So we made the choice to ship her again early to Kansas Metropolis to stick with some pricey buddies who dwell on lots of land and dwell her finest life rolling within the grass and absorbing as a lot sunshine as attainable till we return. We miss her a lot proper now and might’t wait to be reunited and have her be the queen of our new yard.
- We’re prepared to indicate Teo KC. Greater than something, the factor that excites us about this transfer is attending to deliver Teo house to KC. We will’t anticipate him to lastly have common in-person time together with his grandparents and develop near so a lot of our longtime buddies and their kiddos. And there are many Midwestern issues — grassy backyards, superior playgrounds, easy-to-visit swimming swimming pools, fireworks, Kansas Metropolis bbq! — that we’re excited for him to expertise too. I’ve to be trustworthy that it’s onerous proper now for my thoughts to see past how a lot we’re going to overlook every little thing he loves, and particularly everybody he loves, right here in Barcelona. However I do know that this subsequent chapter can be particular for him in so many new methods too.
- It’s all nonetheless feels deeply bittersweet. All of that mentioned, shifting’s simply onerous. Change is difficult. Every time individuals ask us how we’re doing these days, we are saying it’s all the “ands.” We’re deeply unhappy to be leaving our neighborhood right here in Barcelona and we’re actually excited to be again close to longtime family and friends once more in KC. We’re nervous about of all the modifications forward and we all know these are the issues in life that make you develop. We really feel a bit loopy leaving Barcelona at a second when issues are mainly one of the best they’ve ever been and but we notice that’s precisely how we felt about KC once we took the leap of religion to maneuver away six years in the past. Love and grief are at all times two sides of the identical coin, proper? So regardless that it feels extremely onerous to go away proper now, we absolutely know that’s as a result of we’ve had the reward of falling in love with two locations on earth that now really feel like house.
Nicely one factor Spain has positively taught us is how “aprovechar” alternatives to journey each time we discover them. So with lower than two months til we transfer, we’ve determined to attempt to profit from our remaining stretch in Europe!
As this submit goes dwell, we’re going to be touchdown in Morocco for a bucket listing journey to have a good time my fortieth birthday. (Camels, medinas, desert glamping…a dream come true!) Later this month, relying on how scheduling for our subsequent IVF switch unfolds, we’re hoping to go out to go to some buddies within the Costa Brava and perhaps additionally squeeze in a fast journey to Vienna. Then at the start of June, we’ve booked tickets to take Teo to Athens and Crete to take in some Grecian sunshine. Then simply earlier than we transfer, a bunch of girlfriends have organized a visit to Stockholm for a ultimate hurrah till we meet once more.
It’s going to be a loopy whirlwind of some months, however I’m so excited to squeeze in a number of extra European adventures whereas we’re on the continent. If in case you have journey recs for any of these locations, I’d love to listen to them!
One other Backyard = Accomplished ♡
Lastly, I’m excited to share the great information that building on the neighborhood backyard that so a lot of you helped to help has formally been accomplished. And extra, the brand new backyard is prospering!!
271 native girls are actually in a position to earn regular earnings year-round within the N’Korobougou Backyard rising contemporary and wholesome produce to feed their households and help their neighborhood. Due to the brand new (and, importantly, sustainable) water effectively that was efficiently drilled within the backyard, clear water is now out there to the gardeners and their local people for all 12 months of the yr, which is an absolute game-changer on this a part of Mali the place contemporary water is usually scarce in the course of the 8-month dry season annually. Now that the backyard has a constant water supply, all of those gardeners are in a position to earn a significantly larger year-round earnings working within the backyard than that they had earlier than. They usually have been so excited to diversify their crops now that the longer rising season permits them rather more flexibility.
This backyard can be already making a major social influence in the neighborhood. On this a part of Mali, it’s common for ladies to be liable for all elements of the day by day operation of the family and caring for his or her kids, along with working outdoors of the house to attempt to earn extra earnings for his or her households. So now that the ladies of N’Korobougou Backyard are in a position to earn considerably extra earnings whereas additionally working much less hours per week, they’ve reclaimed treasured time from their day to concentrate on different priorities. They usually have already started creating new financial savings plans for themselves, micro-loan packages to help one anothers’ enterprise ventures, and spend money on neighborhood priorities which are necessary to them, comparable to funding salaries for lecturers of their native faculties.
The backyard can be already making a dramatic distinction within the well being of the native atmosphere. There is no such thing as a query that rural communities all through this area are inextricably linked to the well being of their land. The more serious their land fares, the more serious the neighborhood fares. For the previous few a long time, practically all native gardeners needed to resort to reducing down timber in the course of the 8-month dry season to promote as firewood or flip into charcoal, a follow which yielded low income and had sadly had devastating penalties within the space on the subject of deforestation. Now that they’ll earn an earnings working within the backyard year-round, the ladies of N’Korobougou have shared with us that they now not minimize down timber as a result of rising contemporary produce is just simpler and extra worthwhile. It will have dramatic influence on the native tree inhabitants within the coming years, bettering the standard of the soil, entry to foraged meals, animal habitats, prevention the erosion of the dear prime soil that continues to be, which can (full circle!) additionally enhance entry to contemporary water for the complete village.
I simply wish to thanks all once more in your help in serving to to launch this backyard. The tales we’re listening to from the ladies of N’Korobougou are past encouraging, and it’s such a privilege to have the ability to accomplice with you all and The Wash Project to assist this particular backyard develop.
“Earlier than, the dry season used to deliver meals insecurity, however this dry season is totally different as a result of we now have crops in our backyard to eat and to promote. This new backyard has a welcomed change in our neighborhood as a result of it has created jobs for 271 girls. We will solely thank The Wash Venture, as a result of this partnership has given us hope and freedom.”
– Maïmouna Doumbia, member of N’korobougou Backyard