This submit could comprise affiliate hyperlinks. Please learn my disclosure coverage.
This no-bake chocolate pots de crème recipe comes along with simply 20 minutes of lively prep time and contains a silky-smooth chocolate custard topped with amaretto whipped cream. No baking required!
So pretty, so decadent, and so (surprisingly!) easy. ♡
This no-bake chocolate pots de crème recipe has develop into one in all my favourite make-ahead desserts currently for straightforward entertaining. They’re extremely fast and straightforward to prep with simply 7 fundamental substances. And due to a easy stovetop method, there’s no baking required with this shortcut model of the traditional French dessert — simply pour the chocolate custard into some cute ramekins, refrigerate till chilled, and serve. Et voilà!
I like topping our chocolate pots de creme with a fast batch of selfmade whipped cream, which you’re welcome to spike with a splash of amaretto or bourbon should you’d like. And naturally, be happy so as to add some chocolate shavings, berries, or a sprinkling of nuts as a garnish too. Nonetheless you serve these luxurious little pots de crème, I’m sure your family and friends are going to completely adore them.
So seize your favourite bar of chocolat and let’s make a fast batch!
Chocolate Pots de Crème Elements
Listed here are a couple of notes in regards to the chocolate pots de crème substances that you will want to make this recipe:
- Half and half: We are going to use half and half as the bottom for our custard. (Or should you don’t have half and half readily available, you should utilize 3/4 cup heavy cream plus 3/4 cup entire milk.)
- Egg yolks: Egg yolks will assist to thicken the custard.
- Bittersweet chocolate: I like to recommend chopping up a chocolate bar that incorporates at the least 70% cacao, for the reason that bitterness will probably be balanced by the cream and sugar on this dessert. However you’re welcome to make use of any darkish, semisweet or bittersweet chocolate that you just want. (Semisweet chocolate chips will work simply high quality right here too!) We are going to soften a lot of the chocolate into the custard, however then remember to avoid wasting further shavings to sprinkle on high as a garnish, which you’ll both create using a peeler or simply chop finely with a knife.
- Sugar: I make this recipe utilizing fundamental white granulated sugar, however you might be welcome to make use of no matter sweetener you favor.
- Vanilla extract: A teaspoon of vanilla helps to spherical out these flavors.
- Espresso powder: I additionally love including a touch of espresso powder (which, please be aware, is completely different than floor espresso!) to chocolate desserts, which helps to convey out the richness of the chocolate taste with out making the dessert style like espresso.
- Advantageous sea salt: We are going to season the custard with high quality sea salt. However you’re welcome to additionally sprinkle some flaky sea salt on high should you’d like.
- Whipped cream (elective): I like topping pots de crème with a dollop of whipped cream (made by beating collectively heavy cream and powdered sugar). I particularly love including a touch of amaretto or brandy or bourbon to the whipped cream for this specific recipe, however you’re welcome to go away out the additional booze should you want.
- Further garnishes (elective): Be at liberty to additionally sprinkle some recent berries, chopped nuts, and/or further chocolate shavings on high as a garnish.
How To Make Pots de Creme
Full detailed directions for find out how to make pots de crème are included within the recipe under, however listed below are the fundamental steps for this no-bake model:
- Mood the eggs. That is the method by which we slowly and thoroughly mix the chilly egg yolks with scorching liquid (half and half) in order that they’ll stabilize and assist to thicken the custard. To do that, we’ll warmth the half and half till it’s scalding scorching (however not boiling). Then whereas whisking the egg yolks in a bowl with one hand, we’ll very slowly use the opposite hand to pour the recent half and half into the eggs. As soon as the half and half is totally mixed, we’ll return the combination to the saucepan and warmth it briefly on the range till it thickens and coats the again of the spoon. (It ought to measure 175°F.)
- Pressure. At this level, we’ll add the entire remaining substances to the egg combination (chocolate, sugar, vanilla, salt) and stir till mixed. Then I like to recommend pouring the combination by means of a fine-mesh strainer right into a heat-safe bowl, simply in case there are any little bits of scrambled eggs in there that must be eliminated.
- Chill. Portion the combination into 4 (6-ounce) ramekins and refrigerate till chilled.
- Make the whipped cream (elective). If you happen to’d wish to high your pots de creme with whipped cream, whip up a fast batch simply earlier than serving. Merely beat collectively some chilly heavy cream and powdered sugar (plus I like so as to add in a splash of amaretto) till stiff peaks type, then add a dollop to every ramekin.
- Serve. Serve chilled, topped with a light-weight sprinkling of chocolate shavings (which you’ll rapidly shave from a chocolate bar utilizing a peeler) and luxuriate in!
Pots de Crème FAQ
How do you pronounce pots de crème? The singular (pot de crème) and plural (pots de crème) are literally pronounced the identical: poh-deuh-crehm. Higher to take a fast hear here.
What does pots de crème imply in French? Pots de crème means “pots of cream” in French, referencing the small ramekins historically used to make this creamy custard dessert.
Why is it that my pots de crème didn’t set? It might simply be that they haven’t utterly chilled. In any other case, if the pots de creme appear runny, it’s seemingly that they didn’t thicken sufficient in Step 1.
Do pots de creme comprise uncooked eggs? Nope, the eggs are cooked (previous the really helpful 160°F) in Step 1.
Extra Chocolate Dessert Recipes
Searching for extra superb chocolate dessert recipes to attempt? Listed here are a couple of of our faves:
Chocolate Pots de Creme Elements
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder (elective)
- 4 massive egg yolks
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, damaged into items (plus further shavings for garnish)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
Amaretto Whipped Cream Elements
- 1/2 cup chilly heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon amaretto
- Mood the eggs. Whisk collectively the half and half and espresso powder in a small saucepan. Warmth over medium-low warmth till the combination is scalding scorching (just under simmering). In the meantime, whisk the eggs in a small bowl. As soon as the half and half is able to go, use one hand to very, very slowly pour the milk into the eggs whereas whisking the eggs along with your different hand. Return the milk combination to the pan. Cut back warmth to low and whisk till the combination noticeably thickens, round 1-2 minutes. (The combination ought to coat the again of a spoon or measure round 175°F.)
- Combine in remaining substances. Take away pan from warmth. Add within the chocolate, sugar, vanilla and salt and whisk till the chocolate is melted and every part is simply mixed.
- Pressure (elective). Pressure the combination by means of a high quality mesh strainer right into a separate mixing bowl to take away any small clumps.
- Chill. Portion the combination evenly into 4 6-ounce ramekins. Refrigerate till set, at the least 1 hour.
- Make the whipped cream. Utilizing a hand mixer or stand mixer (with a whisk attachment), beat the heavy cream, powdered sugar and amaretto collectively on medium-high pace for 3-4 minutes, or till mushy peaks type.
- Serve. Serve the chocolate pots de creme topped with the amaretto whipped cream and a sprinkle of chocolate shavings. Get pleasure from!
Time: The prep time listed right here could also be longer, relying on how lengthy it takes your pots de creme to utterly chill within the fridge.