Selfmade Hen Pot Pie is pure consolation meals, and certainly one of my household’s favourite hen dinners. This recipe walks you thru easy methods to make a comfy pot pie with creamy hen and veggies baked inside a buttery pie crust.
Love traditional hen pot pies like this one? Wait till you strive my hands-free Crock Pot Hen Pot Pie, too!
A Cozy and Basic Hen Pot Pie Recipe
I’m ALWAYS in search of consolation meals recipes, particularly with hen, as a result of I normally have loads stocked in my fridge and freezer. I’m speaking Tacky Hen Casseroles and Hen Chili to call a couple of. Throw in Air Fryer Biscuits and I’m in cozy heaven!. One in all my all-time most favourite cozy-food recipes is that this do-it-yourself hen pot pie. If there’s one hen dinner to get you thru the colder months, that is it! It’s a traditional and I occur to have perfected the recipe!
What To Count on:
- A flaky, buttery crust stuffed with thick, creamy hen filling.
- My pot pie recipe is the proper consistency. Some pot pie fillings are too runny and soupy in my view. That’s not my factor. It makes the crust soggy, and it’s exhausting to slice! This pot pie recipe has the proper filling consistency! Not too thick, however not too skinny!
- The proper make-ahead dinner recipe. Nice to freeze too!
- Straightforward, on a regular basis components. You need to use a pre-made pie crust, or go the additional mile and use my all butter pie dough recipe…it’s unbelievable!
What You’ll Want
Under is an outline of the components wanted to make this do-it-yourself hen pot pie. The fantastic thing about homestyle recipes is that you just don’t want something fancy! Remember to scroll to the recipe card for the total recipe particulars.
- Frozen Greens: Choose up a bundle of diced, frozen combined veggies out of your native freezer aisle. The commonest combo is diced carrots, peas, corn, and inexperienced beans.
- Celery and Onion: Aromatics sautéd with butter kind the flavour base for the creamy hen pot pie filling.
- Flour: Including flour to the buttery base creates a “roux” that thickens the sauce. All-purpose flour is finest.
- Seasonings: I season my savory pot pie filling with onion powder and thyme, plus salt and pepper to style.
- Hen Broth: Or inventory. Utilizing low-sodium broth is finest, as you’re much less more likely to wind up with a filling that’s overly salty. If in case you have the time, make your individual utilizing my recipe for Selfmade Hen Inventory.
- Milk: Entire milk or 2% milk enhances the creaminess of the sauce. In the event you’re after much more richness, you possibly can go all out with heavy cream.
- Hen: You’ll want about 3 cups of cooked hen, minimize into cubes or shredded. A store-bought rotisserie hen is tremendous handy, or you need to use any cooked or leftover hen you might have readily available.
- Pie Crust: You need to use a do-it-yourself or store-bought pastry crust for this hen pot pie. I’ve a straightforward recipe for an All Butter Pie Crust that I usually use. It can should be made for a double-crust pie and may match inside a 9” deep dish pie plate.
Find out how to Make Hen Pot Pie
Making an ideal hen pot pie from scratch is WAY simpler than you’d suppose. In the event you’ve ever checked out a freshly baked, golden-crusted pot pie in a deli window and thought “How!?”, you’re most likely not alone. Nevertheless it’s so easy, and I’m right here to stroll you thru it:
Making the Filling
Let’s start by whipping up a fast and straightforward pot pie filling. It’s wonderful how a lot taste you possibly can pack into so little cooking time! The creamy hen filling for this pie takes lower than 20 minutes on the stovetop:
- Cook dinner the Frozen Greens: To start out, you’ll wish to take the nippiness off the combined frozen greens. Deliver the veggies to a boil in a shallow pot with water. After a few minutes, drain the water and go away the greens apart for now.
- Sauté: Subsequent, add the celery and onion to a big Dutch oven with butter. Sauté the aromatics to melt them up, then add within the flour and seasonings. Give the whole lot a whisk, and it’s best to see a paste, or roux, start to kind.
- Add Broth and Simmer: Slowly stir within the hen broth, adopted by the milk, and produce the sauce to a simmer. Proceed to whisk because the sauce cooks and thickens (this takes a couple of minutes).
- Add Hen and Veggies: Now, take the cream sauce off the warmth. Stir within the drained combined greens together with the shredded hen till the filling is absolutely mixed. Right here, you possibly can style and add extra seasoning as wanted.
Assembling the Pot Pie
When your filling is able to go, it’s time to tug collectively your pot pie:
- Fill the Pie Crust: Along with your pastry dough rolled out to 11”-12” in diameter, tuck the primary crust into the underside of a 9” deep dish pie plate. Add the hen pot pie filling, after which cowl the dish with the second pie pastry. Pinch the sides of the pie dough collectively to seal, and rating the highest of the pie in order that steam can escape whereas it bakes. Don’t skip this half!
- Bake: I like to recommend inserting the pie plate onto a baking sheet, because it makes it a lot simpler to move to and from the oven! Bake the hen pot pie at 425ºF for 35 minutes or so, till the pastry crust is golden brown and the filling is effervescent. After your pot pie is baked, go away it to take a seat on the counter for 10 minutes earlier than serving (it’s piping sizzling when contemporary out of the oven!).
Can I Make Hen Pot Pie Forward of Time?
Completely! You’ll be able to put together and refrigerate the unbaked hen pot pie, lined, for as much as 3-4 days.
Freezing the unbaked hen pot pie can be a terrific make-ahead possibility. Merely assemble the pie in accordance with the recipe, proper up till it’s able to bake. Then, wrap the pie plate tightly in plastic wrap, plus a layer of foil, and freeze your pot pie for as much as 3 months.
Everytime you’re able to eat it, thaw the hen pot pie within the fridge earlier than baking as directed. It’s also possible to bake the pie instantly from frozen. Be aware that you just’ll want to extend the baking time if the pie is frozen or chilled.
Suggestions for Success
What’s the key to one of the best hen pot pie? Listed below are my suggestions to assist yours come out excellent:
- Use a mixer to shred the hen. I make numerous recipes with shredded hen, from BBQ Pulled Hen, to Crack Hen, to Hen Chili, and I swear by this kitchen hack. You’ll have shredded hen in seconds with hardly any clean-up!
- Verify the pie midway by the baking time. In the event you discover that the pastry crust is browning quicker than the pie is baking, cowl the sides loosely in foil. It’s also possible to use a crust defend when you have one helpful.
- Find out how to preserve a hen pot pie crust from getting soggy: I haven’t had a problem with the crust changing into too soggy with this recipe. Nonetheless, should you’re involved about it, you possibly can at all times pre-bake the underside crust earlier than you fill it. This may be additional insurance coverage in opposition to a soggy crust!
This do-it-yourself hen pot pie is the very first thing to pop into my head when somebody mentions “consolation meals.” The creamy flavors, tender hen, and buttery crust are completely suited to cozy winter dinners with a facet of Mashed Potatoes and flaky Parker Home Rolls.
Listed below are much more simple facet dishes to serve with hen pot pie:
Find out how to Retailer and Reheat Leftovers
Retailer your leftover hen pot pie hermetic within the fridge for as much as 3 days. You’ll be able to reheat the pie entire within the oven at 350ºF, or in parts. A microwave additionally helps to hurry up the reheating course of, although the crust gained’t crisp up as properly.
Can I Freeze Hen Pot Pie?
Sure! You’ll be able to freeze a hen pot pie earlier than or after it’s baked. See the make-ahead part earlier on for easy methods to freeze an unbaked pie.
To freeze a baked hen pot pie, let it cool fully after which wrap it, or retailer any leftovers hermetic. Cooked hen pot pie may be reheated proper from the freezer. I like to recommend reheating it within the oven at 350ºF, till warmed by, for finest outcomes.
Selfmade Hen Pot Pie is the last word consolation meals, with creamy hen and veggies baked inside a buttery pastry pie crust. You’re going to like how easy it’s to make!
- 3 cups frozen combined greens
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sliced celery, small diced
- 1/2 cup diced onion, small diced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon floor black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/3 cups hen broth
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups cubed/shredded hen
- 1 pie crust for a double crust pie (store-bought or do-it-yourself, like my All Butter Pie Crust), rolled out 11-12 inches in diameter to slot in a 9-inch deep dish pie plate
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Put aside a 9-inch deep dish pie plate.
- Place the frozen greens in a small saucepan over medium warmth. Add sufficient water to cowl. Deliver to a boil for two minutes. Take away the saucepan from the warmth, drain and put aside.
- In a 5- quart saucepan or Dutch oven soften the butter over medium warmth. Add within the celery and onion and celery and prepare dinner till softened, 7-8 minutes. Add within the flour, salt, pepper, onion powder, and thyme and whisk till it types a paste, about 1 minute. Slowly whisk in hen broth and the milk till integrated; deliver to a simmer and prepare dinner, whisking always, till the sauce thickens, 3 to five minutes.
- Take away thickened sauce from the warmth and add the drained greens and hen and stir till the filling is nicely mixed. Alter seasoning if desired.
- Match one pie pastry dough into the underside of the pie dish. Spoon the pot pie filling into the dish, then lay the remaining pie pastry on high. Pinch and roll the highest and backside pastries collectively on the edges to seal. Use a pointy knife to chop a number of small slits in every high dough to permit steam to launch whereas cooking.
- Place the pie plate on a baking sheet and bake for 35 – 40 minutes till browned and bubbly, checking midway by baking to verify the crust isn’t browning too quick. *If that’s the case, cowl the crust loosely with foil or a crust defend.
- Take away from the oven and funky for 10 minutes earlier than serving.
Retailer hermetic within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
Key phrases: do-it-yourself hen pot pie, simple hen pot pie, finest hen pot pie recipe
Need To Save This Recipe?
Discover extra recipes like this:
Extra Straightforward Hen Recipes
PIN for later: