This publish might include affiliate hyperlinks. Please learn my disclosure coverage.
This lemony tortellini soup recipe is straightforward to make in about half-hour with no matter taste of tortellini you’re keen on greatest.
My toddler is at present obsessed with tortellini, so we’ve been consuming a document quantity of it over the previous 12 months. And in my efforts to provide you with alternative ways to serve tortellini (and add some further veggies to the combo), this straightforward lemony soup has become a brand new household favourite. ♡
It’s nothing revolutionary — only a easy soup with veggies, tortellini, and spinach. However the addition of chopped fennel, lemon, contemporary dill and a touch of crushed pink pepper flakes give the broth such beautiful further layers of taste and freshness. It’s the proper soup for this time of 12 months that’s good and comfortable, but nonetheless tastes mild and lemony as we head into spring. And better of all, every thing can come collectively in lower than half-hour!
Be at liberty to make use of no matter taste of tortellini you’re keen on greatest right here. And whereas we usually hold this soup vegetarian right here in our home, it will even be completely scrumptious with some Italian sausage or rooster added in too. My toddler would simply advocate serving it with loads of further Parmesan on high. As he likes to say in his lovable little voice, “extra cheese please!”
Let’s make some tortellini soup collectively, mates!
Lemony Tortellini Soup Substances
Listed here are a couple of temporary notes concerning the tortellini soup elements you have to for this recipe:
- Tortellini: We usually use contemporary tortellini when making this soup (from the refrigerated part of the grocery retailer; any taste will do), however frozen or dried tortellini may additionally work right here too. Simply observe that you will want to prepare dinner frozen or dried tortellini a bit longer, based on package deal directions, and might want to add extra broth with dried tortellini.
- Veggies: I used a traditional mirepoix combine (onion, carrots and celery) and contemporary fennel. You’re welcome to cube or slice the veggies nonetheless you like.
- Greens: I usually add a couple of handfuls of contemporary child spinach to this soup, however kale or collard greens could be nice choices too.
- Rooster inventory: I like to recommend a good-quality natural rooster or vegetable inventory for this soup.
- Seasonings: We’ll use a easy mixture of minced garlic, crushed pink pepper flakes, wonderful sea salt and freshly-ground pepper to season the soup.
- Lemon: We’ll use each the zest and the juice to make this soup good and lemony.
- Recent herbs: I like including a beneficiant quantity of contemporary dill to this soup. However no worries if dill isn’t your factor — contemporary basil or rosemary could be scrumptious choices too. (In case you use rosemary, I like to recommend mincing and sautéing it with the garlic.)
- Parmesan: The extra the merrier in relation to topping this soup! In case you occur to have a leftover Parmesan rind readily available too, I extremely advocate simmering it with the broth.
Listed here are a couple of further variations that you’re welcome to attempt with this tortellini soup recipe:
- Add a protein: Sauté Italian sausage or rooster with the veggies if you want so as to add a protein to this soup.
- Use completely different stuffed pasta: Use your favourite tortellini, cappelletti, mezzelune or different small stuffed pasta rather than the tortellini.
- Use completely different herbs: Recent basil, chives or parsley would work properly rather than (or along with) the contemporary dill. Or you can additionally sauté some rosemary, thyme, oregano or different herbs in with the garlic.
- Make it vegetarian or vegan: Use plant-based tortellini and vegetable broth to make vegetarian tortellini soup, and in addition omit the Parmesan to make vegan tortellini soup.
- Make it gluten-free: Use GF tortellini to make gluten-free tortellini soup.
Extra Straightforward Soup Recipes
In search of extra fast and straightforward soups to attempt? Listed here are a couple of of our favorites:
This lemony tortellini soup is straightforward to make in about half-hour with no matter taste of tortellini you’re keen on greatest.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white or yellow onion, diced
- 1 fennel bulb, diced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon crushed pink pepper flakes
- 8 cups rooster inventory
- 16 ounces contemporary tortellini
- 2 giant handfuls contemporary child spinach
- 1 lemon, zest and juice (about 2 tablespoons juice)
- 2 to 4 tablespoons contemporary dill (or different contemporary herbs), to style
- wonderful sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- Sauté veggies. Warmth oil in a big stockpot over medium-high warmth. Add onion, fennel, carrot and celery. Sauté for six minutes, stirring sometimes. Add garlic and crushed pink pepper flakes. Sauté for two minutes, stirring regularly.
- Simmer. Add the rooster inventory and stir to mix. Proceed cooking till the soup reaches a simmer.
- Add tortellini. Add the tortellini, spinach, lemon zest and juice, contemporary dill. Prepare dinner, stirring sometimes, till the tortellini are cooked by means of.
- Season. Style and season the soup with salt, pepper, and further dill or lemon juice if wanted.
- Serve. Serve heat, garnished with plenty of freshly-grated Parmesan cheese.