This submit might comprise affiliate hyperlinks. Please learn my disclosure coverage.
This one pot broccoli mac and cheese recipe is straightforward to customise along with your favourite veggies or proteins and all the time seems completely creamy and tacky.
One-pot consolation meals for the win. ♡
We’re clearly massive mac and cheese followers right here in our home. And on busy nights after we wish to save the step of cooking an additional facet of veggies, this one-pot broccoli mac and cheese recipe is a favourite!
We love this recipe as a result of it’s mercifully gentle on prep time (particularly should you seize a bag of pre-cut broccoli florets) and might simply be made gluten-free through the use of your favourite GF pasta. And whereas we actually love including mushrooms to our broccoli mac and cheese, you’re welcome to sub in another pasta-friendly veggies or greens that you just would possibly love greatest. Be at liberty, too, so as to add in any further proteins that you just would possibly like, equivalent to rooster, sausage, bacon or shrimp. However I’ve to say that the vegetarian model of this broccoli mac and cheese is extremely hearty, cozy, tacky and satisfying all by itself.
Should you’re new to cooking one-pot pastas, please make sure you learn a few of the cooking ideas included under to assist troubleshoot any points that may come up with the cheese sauce. However in any other case, seize that cheese grater and let’s prepare dinner up a scrumptious pot of mac collectively!
One Pot Broccoli Mac and Cheese Components
Listed below are just a few notes concerning the broccoli mac and cheese substances that you’ll want to make this recipe:
- Pasta: I used fusilli bucati corti within the batch proven right here, a pasta form that I like in mac and cheese due to its satisfyingly chewy texture. However any pasta form with a roughly 7-8 minute cooking time (see observe under) will work effectively on this recipe.
- Cheeses: For one-pot mac and cheese, I choose a mix of good-quality sharp cheddar cheese and Parmesan. As all the time when making mac and cheese, make sure you buy blocks of cheese and grate them by hand (or with the assistance of grating attachment on a meals processor) in order that the cheeses will soften easily into the pasta.
- Broccoli: If you need to save lots of time, I extremely advocate choosing up a 12-ounce bag of pre-cut contemporary broccoli florets. However you’re after all completely welcome to reduce your individual florets too.
- Mushrooms: I like to recommend child bella mushrooms for this recipe, browned in butter, that are completely scrumptious.
- Onion and garlic: These will function the bottom aromatics for the recipe.
- Half and half: I discover that utilizing half and half achieves my splendid quantity of creaminess for this mac and cheese. That stated, should you choose a creamier mac, you’re welcome to make use of heavy cream. Or for a lighter mac, you should use complete milk.
- Seasonings: I usually choose to maintain the seasonings easy for this recipe — successful of Dijon, crushed pink pepper flakes, high quality sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper — in order that the flavour of the cheese can actually shine. However see notes under for different enjoyable seasonings that you just’re welcome so as to add in too.
Mac and Cheese Ideas
Listed below are just a few extra essential ideas to assist make this mac and cheese recipe a hit:
- The pasta form you select could make a giant distinction. One pot mac and cheese recipes could be tough relating to pasta-to-liquid ratios. In case you are utilizing a pasta form that cooks extra shortly than what the recipe requires, for instance, it may go away behind extra cooking liquid within the pot, leading to a soupy cheese sauce. In case you are utilizing a pasta form that takes extra time to prepare dinner, it may require extra cooking liquid with the intention to totally attain al dente. As talked about above, I wrote this recipe utilizing a pasta form that lists a 7- to 8ish-minute cooking time. But when the pasta form that you’ve got available requires kind of cooking time, no worries, simply add or subtract pasta cooking water as wanted. (It is best to solely have about 1/2 cup of starchy pasta water remaining within the pot, eradicating any further, earlier than mixing within the cheese.)
- All the time shred the cheese by hand. Retailer-bought shredded cheeses are coated with an anti-clumping combination that forestalls them from melting effectively right into a clean sauce. So anytime you’re making mac and cheese, I like to recommend buying blocks of cheese and shredding them by hand.
- Let the mushrooms brown. To ensure that the mushrooms to correctly brown, make sure you allow them to prepare dinner undisturbed within the butter earlier than flipping and stirring.
- Don’t overlook to season! Cheese manufacturers can fluctuate fairly dramatically when it comes to their saltiness, so don’t overlook to offer the pasta one closing style check after mixing within the cheese and season it with a closing spherical of salt and pepper if wanted.
As I discussed above, it’s very straightforward to customise this recipe along with your favourite substances! For instance, you’re welcome to:
- Use different veggies: Swap another pasta-friendly veggies that you just love instead of the broccoli or mushrooms. For instance, asparagus, bell peppers, Brussels sprouts, carrots, inexperienced beans, peas, squash or zucchini may all be good choices. Simply modify cooking instances as wanted in order that any totally different greens an be correctly cooked.
- Use a special cheese: Use a special cheese instead of the sharp cheddar, equivalent to Gruyere, Fontina, Havarti, or Monterrey Jack. I actually advocate sticking with the Parmesan.
- Add a protein: Add in a cooked protein after including the cheese, equivalent to Italian sausage, bacon, rooster or shrimp.
- Add greens: Add in just a few handfuls of child spinach or chopped kale (powerful ribs discarded) together with the cheese.
- Add further herbs or seasonings: Add your favourite contemporary herbs (equivalent to basil, rosemary, thyme) or dried seasonings (for a special spin, I like including some Cajun seasoning to this mac and cheese).
- Make it gluten-free: Straightforward – simply use your favourite gluten-free pasta!
Extra Mac and Cheese Recipes
On the lookout for extra cozy mac and cheese recipes to strive? Listed below are just a few of our favorites:
This one pot broccoli mac and cheese recipe is straightforward to customise along with your favourite veggies or proteins and all the time seems so creamy and tacky!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces child bella mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound raw pasta (I like to recommend a form that lists a 7-8 minute cooking time*)
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed pink pepper flakes
- high quality sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- 12 ounces broccoli florets, reduce into bite-sized items (about 1 giant head of broccoli)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) freshly-shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (1 ounce) freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- Sauté veggies. Warmth butter in a big stockpot over medium-high warmth. Add mushrooms and sauté, stirring often, for 5-7 minutes or till most of their liquid has evaporated and the mushrooms are browned. Add onion and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring often. Add garlic and sauté for two minutes, stirring often.
- Prepare dinner the pasta. Add pasta, water, half and half, Dijon, crushed pink pepper flakes, a beneficiant pinch of salt and pepper and stir to mix. Carry the pasta to a boil, stirring often to interrupt up the pasta. As soon as the pasta reaches a boil, stir within the broccoli. Cut back warmth to medium to keep up a low boil and proceed cooking the pasta uncovered till it’s simply al dente.
- Take away extra liquid (if wanted). Examine to see how a lot liquid stays within the pot. If it appears that there’s greater than ½ cup or so, dip a heatproof measuring cup in to take away and save the surplus liquid, and set it to the facet.
- Add cheese. Stir within the cheeses till melted and mixed. If the pasta appears too dry, stir a few of the reserved liquid again in as wanted.
- Season. Style and season with extra salt and pepper as wanted.
- Serve. Serve heat and luxuriate in!
Pasta form: As famous above, I wrote this recipe utilizing a pasta form that lists a 7- to 8ish-minute cooking time. But when the pasta form that you’ve got available requires kind of cooking time, no worries, simply add or subtract pasta cooking water as wanted. (See clarification detailed within the weblog submit above. It is best to solely have about 1/2 cup of starchy pasta water remaining within the pot, eradicating any further, earlier than mixing within the cheese.)