This put up might include affiliate hyperlinks. Please learn my disclosure coverage.
My favourite bitter cream espresso cake recipe is completely smooth and fluffy, layered with cinnamon sugar, and at all times so scrumptious.
I noticed the opposite day that it has been twenty years since my school roommate, Natalie, first taught me find out how to make her household’s well-known bitter cream espresso cake. No thought how that’s even attainable, as a result of it looks like simply yesterday that we had been baking up a storm collectively in our tiny school kitchen. However all of those years later — and numerous batches of espresso cake later — I’ve to say that this nostalgic recipe stays one among our household’s all-time favorites. ♡
It encompasses a easy batter made with primary pantry substances and reduced-fat bitter cream, whose tangy taste completely balances the sweetness right here and helps the cake bake as much as be extremely moist. Then in between the layers of cake, we’ll add in a crunchy sprinkling of cinnamon sugar (plus some chopped nuts, if you happen to’d like). After which for one remaining layer of indulgence, I at all times love drizzling a fast 2-ingredient glaze on prime. This cake is assured to make your house odor completely heavenly because it’s baking up within the oven. And as soon as it’s sliced served up good and heat with a scorching cup of espresso on a lazy weekend morning, properly, I don’t know if there’s a extra scrumptious option to begin the day.
Let’s bake up some espresso cake collectively, mates!
Bitter Cream Espresso Cake Components
Listed below are a number of notes concerning the bitter cream espresso cake substances that you will want to make this recipe. (Additionally, for anybody who could also be new to espresso cake, there is no such thing as a precise espresso included within the recipe. It’s a cake supposed to be served with a scorching cup of espresso. ♡)
- Butter: This recipe requires one stick (1/2 cup) of unsalted butter. However if you happen to solely have salted butter available, no worries, simply scale back the quantity of salt to 1/4 teaspoon.
- Sugar and flour: We’ll use primary granulated white sugar and all-purpose flour within the cake batter.
- Baking soda and baking powder: We use each baking soda and baking powder as leavening brokers.
- Eggs: Two eggs serve to assist bind the cake batter collectively.
- Salt: I wrote this recipe utilizing high-quality sea salt, which is what I at all times use in my kitchen. In case you solely have iodized desk salt available, word that you will want to cut back the quantity of salt by half.
- Bitter cream: I’ve at all times made this do-it-yourself espresso cake recipe utilizing reduced-fat bitter cream, however full-fat bitter cream would work simply high-quality too.
- Vanilla extract: We’ll add in some vanilla extract (both do-it-yourself or store-bought) to heat up the flavour of the cake.
- Brown sugar topping: A easy mixture of granulated white sugar, brown sugar and floor cinnamon will function our filling and topping for the cake. Be happy to combine in some chopped walnuts or pecans if you happen to’d like too.
- (Non-obligatory) Glaze: Lastly, if you happen to really feel like drizzling a fast glaze on prime of the cake for an additional contact of sweetness, simply whisk collectively some powdered sugar and milk till mixed.
How To Make Espresso Cake
Full directions for find out how to make espresso cake are detailed within the recipe beneath, however listed here are a number of additional ideas that could be useful too:
- Divide the cinnamon filling. Quite than eyeballing cinnamon sugar combination to divide it, I at all times simply measure out a fast 1/4 cup of the filling to make sure that there shall be equal quantities for the 2 layers.
- Add the second layer of batter by spoonfuls. This batter is sort of thick and could be a bit unwieldy to unfold over the cinnamon sugar filling to kind the second layer. So I at all times advocate spooning it in small clumps over the cinnamon sugar after which gently spreading it into a good layer with a spatula or a knife. This works a lot better than including the batter in a single large blob. Though no worries in case your second layer of batter isn’t completely even…it should nonetheless be scrumptious!
- Get pleasure from heat. This espresso cake recipe will maintain up properly for a handful of days, however I simply must say that it’s particularly heavenly served heat out of the oven with a cup of espresso. Extremely advocate chopping your self a heat slice!
Extra Candy Breakfast Treats
In search of extra yummy breakfast baked items to strive? Listed below are a number of of my faves:
My all-time favourite bitter cream espresso cake recipe is completely smooth and fluffy, layered with cinnamon sugar, and at all times so scrumptious.
Espresso Cake Components:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 giant eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon high-quality sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) reduced-fat bitter cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Cinnamon-Sugar Topping Components:
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons floor cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (elective)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons milk
- Prep the oven and baking dish. Warmth oven to 350°F. Mist a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine the dry substances. In a small mixing bowl, whisk collectively the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt till mixed. Put aside.
- Combine the batter. Within the bowl of a stand mixer, cream collectively butter and granulated white sugar on medium-high pace for two minutes till mild and fluffy. Add vanilla and eggs to the combination, separately, beating properly after every addition. Add half of the flour combination to the butter combination and blend on medium-low pace till simply mixed. Add in half of the bitter cream and blend till mixed. Repeat with the remaining half of the dry substances combination, adopted by the remaining bitter cream, mixing till mixed.
- Prep the cinnamon-sugar topping. In a separate small bowl, whisk collectively the granulated white sugar, brown sugar, floor cinnamon and nuts (if utilizing) till mixed.
- Layer the batter. Pour half of the batter into the ready baking pan and unfold it in a good layer. Sprinkle half of the cinnamon-sugar topping evenly on prime of the batter. Add the remaining batter by spoonfuls evenly on prime of the cinnamon-sugar topping (this makes it easier to unfold), then gently unfold the batter out into a good layer. Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon-sugar topping evenly on prime of the batter.
- Bake. Bake for half-hour, or till a toothpick inserted in the midst of the cake comes out clear. Switch the baking dish to a wire rack and let it cool for not less than 10-Quarter-hour earlier than serving.
- Make the glaze. In the meantime, if you want to make use of a glaze, whisk the powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon milk collectively till mixed. Add an additional teaspoon of milk if wanted to skinny the glaze to a drizzle-able consistency. Or if it appears too skinny, add additional powdered sugar.
- Serve. Drizzle the glaze excessive of the nice and cozy espresso cake. Slice, serve and luxuriate in!
Recipe supply: Recipe from my good good friend, Natalie.